Job Title : Structural Painter
Location: Green Bank Observatory
State: West Virginia
City: Green Bank
Job Schedule: Full Time Temporary
Department: Green Bank Telescope Division
Salary Interval : Non-Exempt
Job Schedule : Temporary
Duration : Approximately 3 Months
Performs a wide variety of skilled painting operations on telescope structures and associated equipment, and other structures over 30 feet high and up to nearly 500 feet high. This is a Safety Sensitive position.
ES SENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs work safely, following AUI/GBO safety requirements.
- Complies with AUI/GBO , state, OSHA, and EPA requirements as they apply to product storage, application, and disposal.
- Prepares surfaces to paint by removing old paint, rust, dirt, and preservatives, either manually or by using electric wire brushes, pressure washing or sand blasting equipment. Fills joints and voids with caulk or other fillers.
- May remove lead based paints following AUI/GBO , state and EPA requirements.
- Abates surfaces containing lead in accordance with applicable company safety and environmental requirements as needed.
- Uses premixed paints, or mixes pigment, oil, thinning agents, and drying agents as needed.
- Selects best method of application for the surface, including, but not limited to, brushing, rolling, and spraying.
- Applies epoxy paints, or epoxy-type fillers as needed.
- Responsible for proper use and care of all equipment, tools, and materials.
- Performs minor routine maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Rigs staging, scaffolding or hoisting baskets as required.
- Works as a member of the Telescope Operations and Engineering Division, performing or assisting in all tasks as needed.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Mixes paints, collects tools and equipment, prepares, primes, and paint surfaces, cleans up. Other duties in support of telescope maintenance as assigned by supervisor.
Note: Should a "Structural Painter - Telescope" be assigned lead responsibility for other Structural Painters and provided with lead premium (per AUI policy) the duties in addition to the above will include:
- Leads other temporary Structural Painters
- Works with the Technical Supervisor and Division Head to establish and achieve painting goals for the project.
- Provides input to the selection of premixed paints or a mix of pigments, oil, thinning agents, and drying agents as needed to match existing paint or obtain a new color and texture as needed. May obtain and evaluate product information from suppliers
Two years of experience in the industrial trades. Must be able to read and understand regulations and manufacturers' instructions for application, storage, use, disposal, and Material Safety Data Sheets and related materials.
Preferred Experience : Industrial painting experience.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works primarily outdoors in all weather conditions on telescopes, with some work indoors in an industrial shop. The employee works anywhere from ground level to nearly 500 feet high on structures. Using appropriate safety equipment, works on structural beams and walkways, or may be suspended in cable supported work baskets, or work from motorized people lifts. May work on or near moving equipment, electrical equipment such as motors, hydraulics, cryogenics, and welding equipment. The employee must be able to climb ladders while carrying equipment, tools, and materials. Must be able to stop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and operate a variety of tools and equipment. Employee must be able to lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds. The employee works with paints and solvents and is exposed to fumes. The employee must be able to utilize a dust mask and/or an air-supplied mask and regulator.
Work Environment: Outdoors in all summer weather.
Must be able to communicate clearly and precisely, both verbally and in writing. Must have good color and depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and able to work with close and distant vision.
The selected candidate must successfully pass a post-offer, pre-employment/pre-placement drug screen. Failure to pass the Screen will disqualify the candidate from employment consideration for a period of six months from the date of the results.
Apply online at the Associated University Inc. / NRAO / GBO Careers page; upload CV/ Resume and letter of inter e s t. http://greenbankobservatory.org/careers/
AUI is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)